Damp Proof Membranes
A Damp Proof Membrane is a waterproof layer that prevents the transfer of moisture between different areas of buildings. When a Damp Proof Membrane is installed into a building structure, it acts as a physical Damp Proof Course by preventing damp from entering the building through the walls or floors. For this reason, Damp Proof Membranes are excellent systems that are used to protect basements and cellar conversions from the ingress of water and damp.
We have a range of Damp Proof Membranes, which come in different stud depths and sizes, kits and accessories for the installation of a dependable waterproofing system to your basement or cellar. If you are starting from scratch, have a look at our Damp Proof Membrane Kits, which have everything you need to install a Damp Proof Membrane at a great price.
View Product For Options
These cob plugs can be used to secure damp proof membranes or lining boards to poor quality base material. This is because unlike standard friction fit fasteners our plugs have an expanding stem which provides fantastic anchorage. SkilledBuild cob plugs are available in both 60mm and 90mm lengths. (Available in packs of 50, 100, 200 and 1000)
View Product For Options
This advanced surface salt treatment helps to prevent or actively reduces efflorescence and is ideal for use on mineral building materials, from new plaster to old stone and masonry. (Available in 1 litre and 5 litres).
Installing Damp Proof Membranes
Waterproofing or Damp Proof Membranes can be a great way of stopping damp penetrating your property. The Damp Proof Membranes can be bought as part of kit which contains everything you need to damp proof your wall. Read below to see how easy it is to install a Damp Proof Membrane at your property.
Preparing the Wall for the Damp Proof Membrane
1. Remove or renew all contaminated and loose plaster and locate the sources of the moisture ingress.
2. Treat wall with masonry biocide solution to ensure wall is free of moulds and fungi.
3. If the wall is salting then treat with SkilledBuild AntiSalting Treatment.
Installing the Damp Proof Membrane
1. When installing a Damp Proof Membrane it is best practice to work outwards from the centre of the Damp Proof Membrane. The Damp Proof Membrane Plugs should be installed at spacings of 300mm centres both horizontally and vertically to create a diamond pattern.
2. Drill 8mm diameter holes through the Damp Proof Membrane into wall to a depth of 70mm, or length of Plug being used.
3. Push the Plug Seal on to the Plug ready to be installed into the Damp Proof Membrane.
4. Push Plug through the Damp Proof Membrane into fixing hole until seal is compressed and the Damp Proof Membrane is fixed to the wall.
5. Use the Damp Proof Membrane Tape to seal the joints between the Damp Proof Membrane sheets to ensure the membrane is tightly sealed together. Damp Proof Membrane Rope is applied between overlapping strips of Damp Proof Membrane at edges.
6. It is advised to use Damp Proof Membrane Corner Tape to seal the joints at the wall and floor in order to achieve the best results.
For help or advice on Damp Proof Membranes, please contact us to speak with one of our technical team members.